Just Another Day in Chocolate City

"Just my thoughts man - right or wrong, Just what I was feeling at the time" Courtesy Jay-Z, The Ruler's Back

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, D.C., United States

Thoughts of a married, 30-something woman, living in Washington, D.C. (yes, in the actual city *lol*)

Monday, November 13, 2006

I Know You Are, But What Am I?





"Let's agree to respect each other's views, no matter how wrong yours may be"

After all, isn't that the attitude out here in the Blogosphere? I've been visiting blogs for a few weeks now, before deciding to start one of my own. I especially like blogs that promote communication and open discussion between the commenters and with the writer of the blog. Ya know, good old fashioned dialogue, new generation style. *lol*

The one thing that bothers me is the bickering. It seems as though people are easily offended (by strangers, mind you) and take general comments very personally. Huh? You mean someone that you've never met, won't ever meet unless your lucky (or unlucky), and doesn't know you from the man in the moon has hurt your feelings? I just don't get it. So I guess the next time I'm floating through the Blogosphere, I'll prepare myself to be personally offended by anyone who:

  • doesn't believe in marraige
  • thinks that all New Yorkers are rude
  • doesn't like Washington, D.C.
  • thinks plus size women are unattractive

So let's say that I'd been on welfare in the past, would I take offense to any statement where someone disagreed with the welfare program? Let's say that I was a single mom, would I take offense to anyone who said that they were waiting to be married to have a child? Or better yet, if I was in my second or third marraige, should I take offense to someone who mentions that their marraige is going to last forever?

I could go on and on. My point ( I tend to wander at times *lol*) is that we're not all identical. We've experienced different things in our lives that have shaped the people we've become. I don't know about ya'll, but I LOVE meeting different kinds of people. We may not agree on everything, but I'd love to have a lively discussion with you. Your unique opinions are yours and yours alone. And guess what? We can disgree and neither of us is wrong. But, like Ms. Creole Princess said "Stoopit people have no room in my world." Couldn't have said it better myself!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stoopit people are put here so we have someone to pick fun at. I've decided it's their only purpose. ROFL!

Who pissed you off? I say we form a blog gang and jump em. I'll hit em high and you hit em low! Or you high and me low...don't make me none. (Going downstairs to get my kickboxing wrist wraps.)

Monday, November 13, 2006 8:03:00 PM  
Blogger layne bowden said...

Amen!

let me just tell you... don't be too overly surprised by ANYTHING you see 'round here. (LOL)

seriously, tho'... i've always welcomed differing opinions on my blog. they help me to see outside of myself (so to speak)... 'cause sometimes when i'm on a rant, i admittedly have tunnel vision!

i've found that some blogs are just full of negative energy and bickering because the owner of said blog is full of negative energy and he/she feeds off it... but i digress. :)

besides, i agree with you... it seems strange to me that folks would act like people they don't know can actually hurt their feelings. (go figure?!) anyway. great topic!

Peace...

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 6:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have long suspected that people who are easily offended in the blog world are also offended in the real world. They seek acceptance. I also suspect people who are purposely offensive may be standing behind e-courage and trying to say and be something they aren't in real life. I love a good discussion. I love to hear/read the opinions of people who come from different circumstances than mine. I welcome those comments on my blog. It's some of the blog comments that have made me re-evalute some of my views. Thus far, I've only had to mention maybe two or three times that debating about the idea is cool but attacking the person is not. Most people are cool with it and those who aren't just dont come back.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 2:08:00 PM  
Blogger TNDRHRT said...

I think differing views help me to grow as a person. I may initially take offense at a person's remarks or differing opinion, but I have to realize that not everyone is going to think like me or act me. In fact, their view MAY help me rethink my opinion. But RARELY! LOL!

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 5:29:00 PM  
Blogger TDJ said...

@ Creole - Let's get them! NY and LA all over their #sses! *lol*

@ Jus - yes, there are definitely places that you can feel the negative energy. I like the poster, but realized the site was toxic!

@Hostess - I agree - good discussions are great. I've been reading your blog for awhile and I enjoy the discussions that I read and enter.

@tndrhrt - Yeah, hearing different opinions is definetely an experience. *lol* don't be offended!

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 9:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home