Just Another Day in Chocolate City

"Just my thoughts man - right or wrong, Just what I was feeling at the time" Courtesy Jay-Z, The Ruler's Back

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, D.C., United States

Thoughts of a married, 30-something woman, living in Washington, D.C. (yes, in the actual city *lol*)

Monday, November 27, 2006

Live Each Day to the Fullest


Hey there Blog World! I hope that everyone had a peaceful and wonderful Thanksgiving.

Just heard that one of my favorite authors, Bebe Moore Campbell, passed away today, Monday, November 27, 2006. The first novel that I read by Ms. Campbell was, "Sweet Summer: Growing Up With and Without My Dad.", during the summer of 1991. My parents and I had moved from Long Island, New York to Alexandria, Virginia. I was away from my family, my friends and all my wonderful memories, but Ms. Campbell's novel slid into a void that I didn't know how to fill. Since my mother was a reader of all the available African American fiction at the time (Gloria Naylor, Terri McMillan, etc), I was familiar with them, but they felt "old". Ms. Campbell's fresh voice and detailed storytelling amazed me. Through the years, I've enjoyed all her novels. Her characters were increasing complicated and human, the storylines well written and layered, and the themes as varied as ever.

Back in March when I read that she was taking a break from the her appearances due to a "neurological condition that will require her full attention for recovery", I sent a card with prayers and well wishes. I was confident that I'd be reading a new novel in no time at all.
It wasn't to be.

Rest in peace Ms. Campbell. The wonderful body of work that you have written will forever remain and continue to touch the lives of your readers.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This hurt my heart. Truly it did.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 7:09:00 PM  
Blogger Ms.Honey said...

I too was shocked by this...she's one of my favorite authors...she will be missed

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 4:41:00 PM  
Blogger TDJ said...

I've been focusing on writing my novel, but when I heard this I had to go the shelf and pick up Sweet Summer again. I'm reading it for like the 10th time now.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 8:35:00 AM  
Blogger BK said...

you know.. I have a post about this but I haven't been able to put it up because its like not wanting to admit the truth.. See Ms. Bebe meant a lot to me outside of her books but when I am ready to let go I'll go ahead and post my post..

Thanks though.. She was a WONDERFUL woman and not just through her books..

Friday, December 01, 2006 8:48:00 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

What a wonderful tribute. You put the nail on the head when you said her writing didn't feel "old." That's what I liked about her work. That and the fact that her books were about something. They had a lesson to teach or message to convey without you feeling like you'd been hit over the head with the message. This trailblazer and literary giant will be missed.

Friday, December 01, 2006 12:12:00 PM  
Blogger BeautyinBaltimore said...

She was a very talented writer. The sad thing is, she past away as her daughter continued to spin out of control.

Monday, December 11, 2006 1:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was very saddened when I heard that she had passed as I enjoyed the one book of hers I read (listened to unabridged on tape), "what you owe me" one of the best books Ive read. Also in your profile you 2 authors I think are great, Diane Mckinney Whetstone and Bernice McFadden.

Friday, January 05, 2007 10:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home