Just Another Day in Chocolate City

"Just my thoughts man - right or wrong, Just what I was feeling at the time" Courtesy Jay-Z, The Ruler's Back

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, D.C., United States

Thoughts of a married, 30-something woman, living in Washington, D.C. (yes, in the actual city *lol*)

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Merry F***ing Christmas Mrs. Hard Heart!

I was having a discussion yesterday with a buddy who we'll call Hot Sauce. A buddy is someone that I know, who's a little more than an associate, but a little less than a friend. We worked together a couple of years ago, so we try to get together at least once or twice a year for dinner and catching up. We get along well, but we usually have very different opinions of things. I like having discussions with all kinds of people, whether we agree or not. Some of my best discussions have been with people with differing opinions. I love it when we don't agree but can engage each other in an interesting back and forth dialogue. Engage the mind, man!

So, we're enjoying fresh guacamole and chips at
Rosa Mexicano Restaurant in NW Washington, DC and having great conversation. BTW - if you're in the area and haven't been, you should go. Anyways, so we start talking about current events - how great Mary J has been looking lately, laughter over Obama's NFL commercial, etc., when the subject of the 3 missing hikers comes up. Just in case you've been under a rock, here's the deal - 3 friends went mountain climbing on Mount Hood in Oregon, a big storm hit and they are now presumed dead. If you want more details, read this. We both agreed that it was a sad story and that our prayers were with the families.

Then things got a little heated. Not on my end, but on her end. I feel that daredevils fail to analyze the inherent risk in certain activities, and the impact that a "problem" will pose to other people. If you want to bungee jump, parasail, climb a mountain, take pictures of a tsunami, journey to the center of the earth or any other activity that the "average" person is not doing, go for it! Who am I to tell you not to go? Enjoy yourself. But, as a realist and a tax paying citizen, I have to question military search and rescue teams for persons participating in leisure activities. I'm a little hesitant to support the search and rescue of your silly ass when the shit fits the fan. Yep, you heard me. I know that money is spent everyday on billions on worthwhile and worthless missions and causes, but I see this as a little different. Of course accidents happen, but your involvement in high risk behaviors increase the odds that something may happen to you.

Well, Hot Sauce damn near lost it. She got huffy with me and started stuttering and saying, "What if that was your father or husband?" And I responded, "They're not climbing any mountains." At this point, I've got a giggle about to escape and my face is set in a smile, which makes Hot Sauce even madder. She got up, pushed in her chair, tossed $20 on the table, grabbed her purse and said, "Well, you have a Merry F***ing Christmas Mrs. Hard Heart!"

Folks, I almost fell out of my chair. That's the best laugh that I've had in awhile. So, in honor or my buddy Hot Sauce, MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm.....where's the Holiday cheer and love Mrs. Hard Heart? I'm torn on this one. I agree with you; there's more effort in this than when there's a missing child but on the flipside, if it was my family, I'd expect George W out there. (wishful thinking I know). Either way, there's no need to get your panties in a bunch over conversation. Take a chill pill.

By the way, nice choice in restaurants!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Thursday, December 21, 2006 3:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok...she got up and LEFT? Wow! Maybe it was the guacamole at Rosa's that did it! LOL!

I feel sorry for the families, but I am glad that the search was called off for the other two climbers who are presumed dead. It makes no sense for the rescuers to risk their lives. The weather was getting worse and worse as the days progressed.

Thursday, December 21, 2006 9:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The guacamole at Rosa Mexicano is the truth! I was in DC this summer and tried it along with those pomagrante margaritas and I'm still craving the guacamole and the magaritas.

Anyway... enough of that... I think we need to think of better ways to handle these kinds of rescue missions. But that's not the thing I want to comment on in this post...

I can't believe she made a theatrical-grand-exit! LOL. That's too funny. Threw her money on the table and everything. Well, you got a darn funny blog entry out of it! 'Cause this is a great story! Happy holidays!

Thursday, December 21, 2006 9:56:00 PM  
Blogger TDJ said...

@ Always - Yep, us fluffly ladies know how to pick the good restaurants. *lol*

@Tndr - You think the guac made her lose it?

@Gwyneth - Ahh yes, the pomegranate martinis are serious! I took the Metro (train) so that I could have 2. :)

Friday, December 22, 2006 10:47:00 AM  
Blogger West said...

That's a trip.

Nothing wrong with "question[ing]" things (although you cheated by side-stepping her retort :p ).

Friday, December 22, 2006 2:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I'm evil because I am laughing over here, lol.

I'll leave the rest of my comments to myself. lol

Friday, December 22, 2006 3:58:00 PM  
Blogger Shai said...

Some folks get passionate over things. I can be at times. LOL. Something else must be going on.

Saturday, December 23, 2006 1:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! YOU ARE LYING! TELL ME YOU'RE LYING! MRS. HARD HEART? Oh heffa puhleeze! Get a life.

Taya...you and me on the same page. Go climbing in the Spring and Summer.

Saturday, December 23, 2006 10:52:00 PM  
Blogger African girl, American world said...

LOL!
Merry Christmas!!

Sunday, December 24, 2006 12:50:00 PM  
Blogger TDJ said...

@ West - yeah, a kind of dipped. I wanted to see what other points she had. :)

@ Angie & African Girl - I still laugh every time I think about it!

@ Shai & West - thanks for stopping by!

@ Monica - I know right? It's not that serious!

Sunday, December 24, 2006 1:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was simply hilarious!

Thanks for the well wishes....It has been an incredible year!

Happy Holidays!

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 2:38:00 PM  
Blogger tia said...

LMAO! Okay, I'm glad it's not just me!!! It's their own damn fault. Ain't nobody told their silly asses to go climb that damn peak! They already knew nobody else had ever done it. Ya THINK they would have known there must be a reason for that!! But I do know that things happen, and it would be wrong for nobody to even attempt to look for them. But rescuers should not be endangered to look for them.

Thursday, December 28, 2006 11:58:00 AM  
Blogger Churchill001 said...

ITA with you on this.

I also think that people - non military - who visit countries that are in political upheavel should not have to have the US bargain for their safety.

If the State Department's website says stay the f*ck away and you go anyway, that's on you.

Friday, December 29, 2006 3:55:00 PM  
Blogger BK said...

ROTFLMAO.. OMG.. ok lemme breathe.. whew.. HAHAHAAAA

Ok I feel you on your thoughts cause I feel like that sometimes too but for her to get up and leave like that.. LMAO Wow

Oh yeah Rosa Mexicano huh??? *adding to places to dine in 2007*

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 1:13:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Okay Mrs. Hard Heart (stop laffing)! Hee! What a retort! Is she kin to the missing men, was that why she was so vested? Good grief.

I've been sick too -- hope you're better soon!

Monday, January 08, 2007 5:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home