Just Another Day in Chocolate City

"Just my thoughts man - right or wrong, Just what I was feeling at the time" Courtesy Jay-Z, The Ruler's Back

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, D.C., United States

Thoughts of a married, 30-something woman, living in Washington, D.C. (yes, in the actual city *lol*)

Monday, April 23, 2007

A Saw By Any Other Name


Hey all. I’ve been MIA dealing with a big work conference. It’s over now and I can return to blogging. I bet ya'll all think you know what the pic above is and what it's used for, don't cha? Well, keep reading.

Anyway, I’m working on a few posts, but what I saw tonight when I got home made me grab the laptop for a quick post.

A little info on my neighborhood: I live in DC, in a neighborhood that is starting to become gentrified, but it’s another 5-6 years coming. So, there are still abandoned buildings, drug dealers, mixed with 400K homes and brand new condos popping up daily. Get it?

Our home is small, but neat. My husband isn’t that handy around the house, especially in the yard work. With all the recent rain that we’ve had, our grass looks like this:


It’s kinda pitiful, I know. Hush! Prior to this year, there was a teenager three doors down who cut it every two weeks, but he's gone away to college. I haven't yet found another teenager to handle things.
We also have another neighbor, address unknown, who I call Crack. Crack is a likeable dude, but unfortunately, he’s a an addict. Not sure exactly what his drug of choice is, but there’s definitely a problem. So, Crack comes by every couple of days to offer services like car washing, trash collection, gutter cleaning, etc. He offers most of his services for $5. WTF? Note to Crack – ask for $10 dude. Anyway, hubby and I normally give him at least $10, but sometimes, depending on what the work is, we'll give more.

Fast forward to this evening. As I’m coming in from work, Crack appears and chats me up a bit. After a minute or two, ya girl is ready to get in the house and take my damn stockings off. Crack claims that he knows someone with a lawnmower he can borrow and asks me if I want the grass cut. Uh, Crack, I think I lost my husband in there this morning. Of course I want the grass cut. So, I say yep, cut away.

Hubby arrives and we take a ride to go house hunting (more on that another day). When we return, this is what we see:


What in the Edward Scissorhands, blind grass cutting hell is this? There is no sign of Crack, but there is a collection of tools on the front porch:


Let’s take a closer look at the tools that Crack has chosen for this task:



A hand saw with half a handle? And what the hell was he planning on digging up? Where are the rest of the "fingers" to the rake? Lordie, lordie. My poor lawn. I laughed all the way into the house to get the digital camera. As you can see, this pic was taken at about 9pm and it was pretty dark out. The porch is only lit with motion lights and the entire yard is normally dark.

Crack hasn’t been back to finish, so he may have given up. Judging by the assembled tools, I don’t blame him. He’ll be back. If not tonight, then tomorrow. If you live in NE DC, lock up ya lawnmowers
!

22 Comments:

Blogger CreoleInDC said...

D.
E.
A.
D.

A DAMN HAND SAW???????? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Monday, April 23, 2007 11:02:00 PM  
Blogger Tsiporah said...

OMG...I don't have anything to say. Bwhahahahahaha!!!!

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 8:45:00 PM  
Blogger TNDRHRT said...

I am ova here DYING!!! You are LIE-ING!! Please tell me you are! Please, pretty please! We have a 'Crack' over here by me...always asking to wash cars and to do little 'odd' jobs. No, thanks! Might be the same 'Crack' you have. I'm sure he gets around!

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 9:30:00 PM  
Blogger TDJ said...

See? I knew ya'll would think I was lying. :) That's why I took the pictures.

@ Tndr - Girl, we only live a minute apart - it's probably him. Does he stutter?

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 10:04:00 PM  
Blogger Ms.Honey said...

AHHHHHHHHH...WHAT IN THE WORLD!!!!

Why did I bust out laughing so loud, I'm sure folks at work was like what is wrong with her LOL

Man I tell ya...hopefully he does a better job on the windows LOL

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 2:36:00 PM  
Blogger BK said...

ok see I really needed a good laugh and this was it..


but hell to da naw.. not a hand saw!!!! hahahaaaaa

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 2:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just had to 'say' something...LOL!!! I can just picture u telling this story, that's a good one!

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 11:23:00 PM  
Blogger Ms. Lee said...

TDJ, I laughed from deep in my belly just now! The grass on the walkway! And then the tools! LMAO.

Can't wait to read the follow up!

Thursday, April 26, 2007 5:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LAAAAWWWWWWWDDDDDD.....

And just think, I just finished cutting my grass and was about to type a post on how I lack the green thumb.

But damn...you took the cake with this one....

Thursday, April 26, 2007 6:54:00 PM  
Blogger Tasha said...

What in the blue hell!? Maybe Crack was using the rusty saw like a weed wacker to get the detail work done??

DEAD at the pics!!

Friday, April 27, 2007 11:07:00 PM  
Blogger chidi said...

lol!!!

Monday, April 30, 2007 5:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! Po' Crack. Hilarious.

Monday, April 30, 2007 9:57:00 AM  
Blogger Angie said...

Lol, nothing like somebody on crack, lol. Always on a whole different level, ha ha.

Good to see you back online.

Monday, April 30, 2007 2:29:00 PM  
Blogger DJ Diva said...

MY GOD woman!!!! Ima stop reading u at work LMAO

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 9:38:00 AM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

"Edward Scissorhands"! Oh, insomnia is a good thing sometimes because I get to read stuff like that! I just almost fell off the bed laughing at the picture. What in the world!!

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 4:42:00 AM  
Blogger Meilyn said...

OMG! I am DYING!!!! this is too funny... i can't handle...'adsf asfda f sa fasdf ds

Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:01:00 PM  
Blogger High Fidelity said...

I think I have completely dehydrated my body because I have cried all the tears I can and released all drool from my mouth from laughing at this one!! Me thinks I have to add you to my fav list. Look me up!!

Thursday, May 10, 2007 7:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, I laughed and cried so hard at this post!!!! The combination of the 3 ragedy tools sent me over the edge. I don't think my heart stopped racing for 20 minutes. Have ya'll seen him since? We need an update.....and another good laugh!

Friday, May 11, 2007 9:29:00 AM  
Blogger Butta said...

LAWD! Just when I thought I had seent it all. A handsaw? What in the crack smoking hell? I guess you get what you pay for, but damn!

Friday, May 11, 2007 10:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lmao! I've got the same crackhead in my neighborhood!!! NW or NE you can't avoid them!

Veronica

www.veronicaheather.livejournal.com

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger Lola Gets said...

Yeah, I have a local crack head who also does yard work for me, but I live in Shaw. He shows up at strange hours nshyt. Sometimes he has his own tools, but occasionally he'll borrow mine. Thank God he always returns them!
L

Saturday, May 19, 2007 5:21:00 PM  
Blogger The Second Sixty-Eight said...

That just got you added! That is funny as hell. On the bright side there ain't a pride of lions waiting for you to stroll up ya sidewalk! Of course you can't tell the sidewalk from the lawn but I ain't picking no nits...

I won't even comment on the tools. Probably why he abandoned them.

Sunday, May 20, 2007 4:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home